Doser apolipoprotein (Apo) AI and AII way of measuring high density lipoprotein considered to be anti-atherogenic.Instead of apolipoprotein B which is her atherogenic.
Lipids circulate in the blood bound to apolipoproteins.
Apolipoproteins are associations of lipids and proteins: the vast majority of apolipoproteins AI and AII are in the HDL (high density lipoproteins or “good cholesterol”); a smaller amount is found in chylomicrons and VLDL (very low density lipoproteins).
Apolipoprotein B is the main component of low-density apolipoprotein, or LDL ( “bad cholesterol”).
blood sample in the morning on an empty stomach at least 12 hours.
The assay is performed by immuno-nephelometry or turbidimetric immunoassay.
The usual values depend on the techniques used by each laboratory.
For information, normal values:
– Apolipoprotein AI:
– Men: 1.1 to 2 g / L,
– Woman: 1.2 to 2.2 g / L;
– Apolipoprotein AII:
– Man: from 0.55 to 1.35 g / L,
– Woman: 0.55 to 1.25 g / L;
– Apolipoprotein B: 0.7 to 1.3 g / L;
– Report apolipoprotein B / apolipoprotein A: <0.5;
– A decrease in apolipoproteins AI below 1.3 g / L is a sign of atherosclerosis risk. Its elevation, however, is a sign of good cholesterol removal, a guarantee against atherosclerosis;
– Apolipoprotein AI is absent in a hereditary disease: Tangier disease;
– Apolipoprotein AII increases in alcoholics, but decreases hepatic failure complicating chronic alcoholism;
– For apolipoprotein B, its elevation above 1.3 g / L is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
– B20, for apolipoprotein AI.
– B30 for apolipoprotein B.
Hypertriglyceridemia (> 4 gl) makes unreliable dosing apolipoproteins. Check that the patient is strictly fasted for 12 hours.
The apolipoprotein AI ratio is increased in case of marathon and intense physical exercise, but also for moderate alcohol consumption.