- Antioxidant role by activating selenium glutathione peroxidases (4 types of GPX
Detoxifies hydrogen peroxide (H202- hydrogen peroxide) into water in plasma and cells thanks to the GPX1 enzyme
- Anti NFKappaB factor: selenium contributes with all antioxidants and polyphenols to modulate inflammatory responses
Blocks heavy metals: lead, mercury, cadmium and allows their urinary elimination or their blockage in cells (with glutathione and vitamin C)
– It is integrated into the selenoprotein P, each of which transports and distributes 10 atoms of selenium in the tissues (a form of transport such as transferrin for iron).
– Co-enzyme of iodothyronine deiodinase, which activates T4 (reserve form with 4 iodine atoms) into T3 (active form) => activation of thyroid hormones
- Intervenes in male fertility => integrated in a selenoprotein of the sperm capsule where it protects the flagellum => lack of mobility of the spermatozoon is due to a lack of selenium
- thioredoxin (thiol group) reductase coenzyme, an antioxidant enzyme that recycles
- Integrated in W selenotherapy necessary for metabolism and present in several dozen other proteins whose functions are still little known
- thioredoxin (with the help of NADH)
- 70 mcg / d
- Average intake 45 mcg / d
- Intake considered optimal: around 150 mcg / d
- Pro-oxidant if overdosed especially in the form of Selenite (which consumes glutathione to be metabolized)
Whole grains, Brazil nuts (and seafood / animal proteins which are not recommended due to their other ingredients, pollutants and microbial agents).
- Mercury dental amalgam removal (Selenium Granions 890 mg 3 days before and 3 days after)
- Prevention and co-treatment of infectious pathologies
- Prevention and co-treatment of allergic and inflammatory pathologies
- Prevention of degenerative pathologies:
- Contribution to the reduction of mortality among seniors
Apart from a detoxification of heavy metals, there is almost no indication of selenium on its own. It is therefore prescribed integrated either in a general daily nutritional supplement (minerals, vitamins, protective active ingredients): or in a antioxidant complex which acts “in family”: vitamins C and E (natural), beta-carotene, lycopene, lutein, selenium (example Aodyn).
Author Jean-Paul Curtay